Beyond hot chocolate.
Can you tell that I just spent some healthy days at a spa? On the first day, a friend and ASE subscriber Nancy C. confidently asked for a matcha latte with coconut milk. I know a good idea when I hear one. Matcha is a green tea powder with a caffeine lift and antioxidants. Here is the recipe for Matcha Latte and some other rich, frothy, warm drinks.
Matcha Latte recipe
1 tsp of matcha green tea powder
3 TBS of hot water
1 ¼ cups of milk or nut-milk
(I have tried almond milk, macadamia milk and coconut milk and enjoyed all three)
Up to 2 tsp of sugar or other sweetener from honey to stevia
- Spoon the matcha into a mug.
- Add the 3 TBS of hot water to the matcha to make a paste – stirring or whisking. Avoid lumps.
- Add hot milk or nut-milk to the mug.
- Froth the mixture.
Not all Matcha is created equal. The fabulous spa I visited recommends this pure, delicious and (pricey), Taste of Kyoto Reserve Matcha. 2.12 ounces, $45.99.
1 cup of milk or nut milk – almond, coconut, macadamia
1 ½ TBS Unsweetened Cocoa Powder (ideally organic)
1 tsp Ground Turmeric
2 tsp Coconut oil (ideally organic)
Pinch of Black pepper
Pinch of Cayenne Pepper
2 tsp of honey, agave, maple syrup or sugar – to taste
- Combine milk, cocoa powder, turmeric and coconut oil. Whisk or froth and heat to a boil. I use a microwave.
- Stir in black and cayenne pepper to taste.
- Pour into a mug and add honey to taste.
Caramel or coconut latte
Rooibos Tea Latte flavored with Caramel Macchiato or Coconut Custard Recipe
Coconut Custard Tea or Caramel Macchiato Tea
1/3 of a cup of coconut, milk or another nut milk. I recommend using coconut milk with the coconut custard tea.
Honey, agave or another sweetener to taste, try ½ a TBS
Cinnamon to taste
- Brew the tea
- Bring cold water to just under a boil.
- Measure one or two heaping teaspoons of loose tea leaves for each cup of water. To taste.
- Pour hot water over tea leaves.
(Purists warm the cup or the pot with some hot water, pour it out and then make the tea.)
- Steep for 6-10 minutes.
- Remove and strain.
- Heat and froth the milk.
- Add 1/3 of a cup of frothed milk to each cup of tea.
- Stir in your sweetener of choice and shake some cinnamon on top – to taste.
I discovered my first chai latte in India decades ago and I have been drinking them ever since.
Spiced Chai Latte Recipe
Loose-leaf Black Tea – English Breakfast, Ceylon or your choice
Sweetener – Brown sugar, maple syrup, honey or alternative
A few pods of Green cardamom
Cloves – to taste
Fennell seeds – to taste
1 Cinnamon Stick
Black peppercorns – to taste
(Or use the Organic Rishi Masala Chai mix – below- instead of these spices)
Fresh ginger with skin on, sliced into thin rounds
- Heat water and milk
- Before it boils, add fresh ginger rounds
- Add 2 tsps. of the tea and your choice of spices
Or, use 2+ tsps. of loose masala spiced tea mix per cup of liquid
- Let tea steep for at least two minutes
- Pour into a cup through a sieve.
- Add the sweetener of your choice.
I like my simple, hand-held frother and I have given them as hostess presents. Powered by two AA batteries, it is easy to clean and comes with its own stand. Your choice of 10 colors. $12.99.
Subscriber Lisa C. recommends this Capresso Frother which heats the milk and froths it. It is easy to clean. I use it regularly. The drinks get very warm, but not hot. You may want to heat them up in the microwave. Capresso Frother. $77.65.
You can froth milk with an immersion blender which you will also use to blend soup and whip cream. Breville Immersion Blender. $86.93
Header image credit: https://www.japancentre.com/en/recipes/16-matcha-green-tea-latte-hot-or-iced