“Be sure to put the knocker fairly low on your door in case a very small friend drops by”. A.A. Milne
Finding a unique door knocker is a fun challenge. Door knockers are the first impression people have of where you live. They often tell something about the residents. The knocker might be a favorite animal, a symbol of something meaningful to the resident or simply a beautiful object.
This lobster knocker brings to mind Maine, the ocean, melted butter and lobster traps. It is cast in solid brass with a brass finish. It is hand finished and measures 8.5”H x 4”W x 1.5”D. $125.00.
This is a wonderfully whimsical door knocker from Anthropologie. It is made from iron and aluminum. It measures 7.5”H x 1.75”W and projects 3”. $40.00.
This Twyla Door Knocker from Anthropologie is made from blackened iron and brass. It is 4.75” in diameter with a 1” projection. $48.00.
I love this vintage anchor door knocker because it has a lovely worn warm patina and has avoided being highly polished. It is one of a kind on eBay. $23.95.
Another take on an anchor door knocker. It is cast in solid brass and hand finished. You can choose among three finishes – brass, nickel or black matte. It also comes in two sizes. The Premium size is 6.5”H x 4.75”W x 1.5”D. The Standard size is smaller at 5”H x 3.75”W x 1.25”D. Standard is $69.00 and Premium is $125.00.
The simplicity of this knocker is classic and modern at the same time. It is cast in solid brass and hand finished. It is available in brass and oiled bronze. It measures 4”H x 4”W x 1.5”D. Brass is $120.00 and oiled bronze is $60.00.
This is a solid antique brass door knocker from the U.K. It is handmade with classic detail. It measures 6.3”W x 5.1”H x 1.2”D and is $57.22 not including shipping.
This is a large, heavy antique gold iron Chinese dragon or foo dog. It is made from iron with a brass gold patina. Maybe it will protect your house from negative energy! It measures 8”H x 6.5”W x 2.75”D and is $425.00 at First Dibs.
Hand door knockers have always been very popular in Europe. They are beautiful and come in all shapes and sizes. This one is known as a closed right hand fist and ball door knocker and is $62.00. It is solid brass with a weathered brown patina. It measures 6.25”H x 4”W x 3”D.
Hand knockers are so popular that there is a Flickr group with 64 members who photograph any hand knocker they see in their travels and post it on the site.
Tips for choosing a door knocker:
- Make sure the finish of the door knocker goes well with the finish on other outside doors, lamps and hardware around your house.
- Door knockers are usually hung in the middle of the door at about head height and have a color that stands out from the rest of the door.
- Ideally, the door knocker should reflect the time period in which the house was built.
- Test it out and make sure you can hear the knocker from inside the house, especially if you do not have a doorbell.
- To protect your door, make sure the knocker comes with a built-in strike plate which not only amplifies the noise the knocker makes but protects the door from damage.