Update: In a November 16th Must Peek, we suggested that some of you could alert non-profits in your community to an offer from Payless Shoe Source to help distribute one million dollars worth of shoes to children in need. Six hundred and thirty non-profits will be giving out 67,000 vouchers for shoes in all fifty States this holiday season. Thanks to all of you who helped in this effort. The ASE community can make a difference!
Payless ShoeSource is giving away $15 gift coupons redeemable through Jan. 31, 2009, towards a pair of shoes at any of the more than 3,600 stores across America (excluding Shopko stores). We’ve checked – $15 buys a good pair of children’s shoes.
Help Payless Gives Shoes 4 Kids program give away $1 million worth of shoes – more than 65,000 pairs – to children in need. You can encourage a qualified non-profit which serves kids to complete a short online application.www.paylessgives.com
Charitable organizations eligible for consideration to receive the merchandise gift coupons for distribution to children in need must meet the following criteria:
- Be a qualified independent IRC 501(c)(3) public charity
- Be located in and primarily serve communities within the United States
- Primarily provide emergency assistance and related case management services to children in need
- Has filed a Form 990 (long version, not EZ) for the most recent fiscal year
- Be located in cities where Payless ShoeSource stores are accessible (coupons will only be valid in stores, not online) (There are 3,600 Payless Stores – probably one in your community)
- Be willing to serve all clients demonstrating need regardless of age, race, gender, religion or sexual orientation
- Not require participation in religious activities or affiliation in order to be eligible for assistance
- Have the ability to distribute all awarded merchandise gift coupons to underprivileged children in need between December 5th – 24th
Use of Merchandise Gift Coupons
Charitable organizations awarded merchandise gift coupons by Payless ShoeSource will be required to distribute each of the merchandise gift coupons directly to families with children who meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Do not have resources to meet their basic needs
- Desire to improve their own lives, or of those around them, but are limited in doing so, due to lack of financial resources
- May be victims, directly or indirectly, of an accident or crime
- May have been deprived of necessary resources because of a natural disaster or because of economic or political problems
Here is a letter to us from Payless:
Dear A Sharp Eye subscribers,
We thought your Greater Good readers might be interested in learning about Payless ShoeSource’s recent call to action!
In response to today’s challenging economic climate and a general need for shoes by so many kids across America, Payless is giving $1 million in shoes – more than 65,000 pairs – to families of children in need this holiday season through its first-ever Payless Gives Shoes 4 Kids program. Payless is giving more than 65,000 $15 gift coupons redeemable through Jan. 31, 2009, towards a pair of shoes at any of the more than 3,600 stores across America (excluding Shopko stores). Fifteen dollars will buy some deserving child a great pair of shoes.
The company will partnership with a network of local non-profit organizations across the nation. If you know a non-profit who has direct access to children in need – please let them know about this offer.
Local charities interested in joining the campaign simply need to complete a short online application at www.paylessgives.com.
Payless will select as many well-suited non-profits as possible to serve as its partners in the massive grass roots shoe-gifting effort. In early December the company expects to announce all of its selected partners with an aim of blanketing the nation in both urban cities with dense populations, as well as rural regions of the United States.
Payless Gives Shoes 4 Kids program: http://www.paylessgives.com/