Julia Cameron’s book began it all.
Julia Cameron is a poet, playwright, filmmaker and writer who began her career at the Washington Post and Rolling Stone. From there her life had ups and downs. She was married to Martin Scorsese and had a daughter. The dark part of her life was alcoholism and drug addiction which resulted in blackouts, paranoia and psychosis. She stopped the drugs and alcohol and began teaching creative unblocking. That led to her most famous book, The Artist’s Way. The book has sold over 4 million copies. For the past 20 years the Artist’s Way movement has helped people tap into or recover their creativity. Cameron views creativity as an “authentic spiritual path”.
It all began when Cameron shared her ideas with a few artists in her living room. She put the ideas into a book and began teaching her creativity tools worldwide in lectures and workshops.
“Remember, your artist is a child. Find and protect that child. Learning to let yourself create is like learning to walk. The artist child must begin by crawling.” Julia Cameron
The book is a twelve-week course with assignments:
- Week One – Recovering a Sense of Safety
- Week Two – Recovering a Sense of Identity
- Week Three – Recovering a Sense of Power
- Week Four – Recovering a Sense of Integrity
- Week Five – Recovering a Sense of Possibility
- Week Six – Recovering a Sense of Abundance
- Week Seven – Recovering a Sense of Connection
- Week Eight – Recovering a Sense of Strength
- Week Nine – Recovering a Sense of Compassion
- Week Ten – Recovering a Sense of Self-Protection
- Week Eleven – Recovering a Sense of Autonomy
- Week Twelve – Recovering a Sense of Faith
Every morning you do ‘morning pages’ where you write whatever you feel like. Every week you have specific writing exercises based on the theme for that week. It is a very personal experience. On the path to bring out your inner artist you are revisiting your past and your inner thoughts and feelings, some of which haven’t seen daylight in a long time.
There is also The Artist’s Way video course. It is an intensive 12-week course that follows the book. It is a comprehensive discussion with Julia Cameron and an intimate glimpse into her life, her home, her thoughts, reflections and insights into the concepts in The Artist’s Way.
Julia Cameron speaks all over the world. To see her schedule go to